Cleanliness and sanitization have always been important. And, with the COVID-19 pandemic fresh in our minds, proper cleaning has never been more top of mind. But what are we doing to protect little ones, not only from COVID, but from colds, the flu, and more?
Today we’re digging into how to clean playground equipment properly and how to choose the right products for the job.
Use the links below to skim the article:
- Do I Really Need to Clean My Playground?
- How Do I Choose the Right Cleaning Products?
- What Cleaning Products Should I Use?
- How Do I Clean My Playground Effectively?
Do I Really Need to Clean My Playground?
You may have heard that sunlight kills viruses like COVID-19 on outdoor surfaces. While studies show that certain UV rays may be able to kill virus particles, the sun is not a perfect science.
What if there’s a week of rainy, overcast weather? How about the sun in the colder seasons? What if your playground was built under a shade structure or in the shadow of a grouping of trees?
The bottom line is that relying on the sun and other outdoor elements simply isn’t enough to keep children safe from surface-borne illnesses.
How Do I Choose the Right Cleaning Products?
Amidst the chaos of the pandemic, thousands of new cleaning products have hit the market with all sorts of claims. Here’s what you need to know to choose a safe and effective product for your playground.
Cleaners vs. Disinfectants
The subtle difference between cleaners and disinfectants can often mislead consumers into making the wrong choice. Cleaners simply remove dirt, while true disinfectants actually kill germs and bacteria. Cleaning products can remove excess dirt before sanitizing your playground equipment, but they are not a complete cleaning protocol on their own.
Reading Product Labels
Every manufacturer wants to make their product sound as safe and effective as possible. That’s why it’s so important to read labels carefully before selecting a cleaning product.
For example, a product that says it “reduces odor-causing bacteria” appears to be a disinfectant, but isn’t. Always look for effectiveness claims, like “kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria” backed up by studies or third-party organizations. High-quality products may also have a list of the exact bacteria and viruses they are effective against.
The Three Pillars of Cleaning Products
There are so many different things to consider when choosing a cleaning product. We recommend focusing on three main factors:
- Efficacy: Look for a product that will effectively disinfect in a single application, with no need to pre-clean surfaces or re-apply it during the same application.
- Safety: A safe cleaning product is environmentally-friendly and won’t harm people, animals, the planet, or the equipment you are applying it to. Ensure that this product is non-toxic, non-irritating, non-corrosive, and free of fragrance.
- Simplicity: Rather than looking for several different products that will get the job done, see if you can find one single, versatile product that covers all sanitization needs and is available in ready-to-use or easy-to-dilute concentrate.
What Cleaning Products Should I Use?
We recommend the Peroxigard™ line of surface cleaners and disinfectants.These products clean, deodorize, and disinfect in one step to save you time and money. Peroxigard™ is used in medical labs and surgical suites, proving its efficacy and safety. For convenience, Peroxigard™ is available in concentrate, diluted spray, and wipe options.
How Do I Clean My Playground Effectively?
Since playground equipment is quite large and has hundreds of nooks and crannies that need to be cleaned and sanitized, we recommend using a foamer and sprayer. This equipment spreads the disinfectant as evenly and efficiently as possible.